- Attend class regularly. Twice a week if possible.
- Study from good materials. The HSK materials are best. They’re extremely well written, and the vocabulary is graded.
- Study regularly. Try studying on the way to and from work- on the bus or train.
- Don’t have unrealistic expectations of progress. Be patient.
- Remember that learning Chinese is a journey, and a long one. Don’t be distracted by thinking about the journey. Rather, enjoy the delights of what you are learning each day.
- Think of the Chinese characters as friends. They’ve been around for thousands of years. They are your friends.
After a year of learning Chinese with Chinese for Professionals in Australia, David shares his top Chinese Mandarin...